Hi, we love you.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 21 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:37 am

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

+5
Mikayla
Ashliegh
President Lulu
DeannaPayne
Savanah
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Empty How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

Post by Savanah Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:32 pm

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp!

Have you ever seen those cool Bokeh backgrounds that look awesome if they are used as textures on graphics, or even as backgrounds? You can make your own.

NOTE: THE PICTURES ARE NOT SHOWING UP ALL THE WAY BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO BIG. IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE, RIGHT CLICK IT AND SELECT "OPEN IMAGE IN NEW TAB."

1. Create a new document. 1600 x 1200 works the best. Fill the background with black.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! 7oXdQ

2. Create a new transparent layer and name it dark purple. (Make sure you name all of your layers because you will not know what it is later.)
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! VTMFZ

3. Choose the color dark purple, and select the gradient tool. Change the shape to radial, the opacity to 50, and the gradient to FG to transparent.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! J72vl

4. Click the center of the black paper and drag your mouse outward so it creates a purple circle in the center.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! PyqsZ

5. Create a new transparent layer and name it as eclipse 1.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Bhrgg

6. Choose the brush tool and change the color to white. Make sure the brush is on circle(19) and scale it to 10.00. Then click the brush dynamic options and change the values to the ones in the image below. Make sure you put checkmarks in the correct boxes. Now put a checkmark in the box that says apply jitter, and change the amount to 10.00. BEFORE MOVING TO THE NEXT STEP, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DID EVERYTHING IN THIS STEP. YOUR TOOLBOX SHOULD LOOK LIKE THE IMAGE BELOW.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! SlqGc

7. Now start painting on your paper. It should forms little circles everywhere.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! GHzdI

8. Go to filters>blur> Gaussian blur. For this layer, use 40 pixels for the horizontal and 40 pixels for Vertical. When you click ok, the circles should turn blurry.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Nj5yb

9. Create another layer and name it eclipse 2. Paint some more circles on the paper.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! 9x6Yb

10. Go to Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur. For this layer, use 10 pixels for Horizontal, and 10 pixels for vertical.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! DEdkV

11. Create another layer and name it eclipse 3. Now paint some more circles on the paper. Go to Filters>blur>Gaussian blur and use 1 pixel for horizontal and 1 pixel for vertical.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! EB2dP

12. Create a new layer and name it clouds. Fill this layer with white. Go to filters>render>clouds>different clouds. Change the detail to 4, and check the boxes that say randomize and tilable.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Q61zm

13. Change the layer mode to overlay.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! OLVtA

14. Create another layer and name it gradient.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! DR9yL

15. Select the gradient tool and change the gradient to Full Saturation Spectrum Gradient. Change the opacity to 100, and change the shape to linear.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! JWlNO

16. Drag your mouse across the screen so that it’s covered in How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! 230677302. Change the layer mode to overlay and it should look like this so far:
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! FjvXl

17. Go to layer eclipse 3 and change the layer mode to grain merge.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! HWNu9

18. Go to layer eclipse 2 and change the layer mode to Hard Light.
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! PHXWA

19. You’re finally done! Here is what the final result should look like (right click to see the whole image as said above):
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! CUteD

Here is another one I made using smaller circles (right click to see the whole image as said above):
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! EZCQN

Some tips:
-Try experimenting by changing things up a little, you never know what the results may be!
-Instead of using a How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! 230677302 gradient, try using another colored gradient!
-Try changing the size of your circle brush
-Try changing the background color from black to something else

The possibilities are endless!

It will probably take you a while to make this, but it sure is worth it at the end! The result is beautiful. (: Post your results below! I would love to see them.
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Empty Re: How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

Post by Guest Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:56 pm

cool :D imma try it~

EDIT: Here's my result Razz -

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Test

Last edited by Ariana on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Empty Re: How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

Post by Savanah Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks, I hope it works for you Ariana.
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by DeannaPayne Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 pm

that's amazing :D
thanks for posting :3
DeannaPayne
DeannaPayne
Potato
Potato

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:53 pm

You're welcome Caroline!
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by President Lulu Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:57 pm

OMG! :O
I have to try this out soon! xD
Awesome guide, Savanah!
Thanks!! :DD
President Lulu
President Lulu

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:58 pm

Thank you lulu! :D
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashliegh Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:10 am

That is so cool Savannah :O I am going to try that out sometime! :D
Ashliegh
Ashliegh

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks Ashliegh! I hope it works. :)
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashliegh Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:16 am

I did it! :D
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Ct6qb
Ashliegh
Ashliegh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikayla Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 am

I'll try it later. (:
Thanks for posting. !
Mikayla
Mikayla

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Ashliegh wrote:I did it! :D
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Ct6qb

That is beautiful Ashliegh! I am so glad it worked for you. :D
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Mikayla♥Pikachu wrote:I'll try it later. (:
Thanks for posting. !

Okay Mikayla. You're welcome. :)
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashliegh Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Thank You Savannah! ^-^
Ashliegh
Ashliegh

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Ashliegh wrote:Thank You Savannah! ^-^

You're welcome. :D
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I love how this looks. :D
Zoe
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank you Zoe! :)
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoe Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Savanah wrote:Thank you Zoe! :)
Your very welcome.
Zoe
Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzie Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Awesome job! It was really helpful! I used it as a backround for a siggie, if I ever finish the rest of it Razz
Kenzie
Kenzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks Kenzie. :)
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzie Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Your welcome :)
Kenzie
Kenzie

Back to top Go down

Post by someonetookthenameiwanted Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:13 pm

woah can't wait to try this. thanks!

someonetookthenameiwanted

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:36 pm

You're welcome Ava.
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenzie Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:27 pm

I didn't use it for my siggie, I used it for something else. But I have no idea what xD
So here's what I got...
How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics! Rainbo10
Kenzie
Kenzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Savanah Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 pm

That is epic Kenzie! :D
Savanah
Savanah
Cookies
Cookies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next